2013 Preemie Awareness Month Best Practices Contest - Official Rules
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement and acceptance of these Official Rules.
Eligibility / Who May Enter: The Medela 2013 Preemie Awareness Month Best Practices Contest (“Contest”) is a trade promotion open to any NICU facility in the 50 United States, the District of Columbia or Puerto Rico, that is a Medela account as of the start date of the Contest. Contest begins on September 17, 2013 and ends on October 18, 2013. Entries are due by October 18, 2013. The Contest is void where prohibited and subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws. Contest is sponsored by Medela, Inc., 1101 Corporate Drive, McHenry, IL 60050 (“Sponsor”).
To Enter: To enter the Contest, submit your facility name and contact information along with a 1,000-word essay about the best practices of your NICU facility related to how your NICU facility has been successful in increasing human milk consumption using Medela products or education. The submission should include supporting graphical data, charts, etc. In addition, the submission should cover the following points:
1) Challenge and subsequent goal: Submission must contain background information on study area including the drivers behind the best practice, a hypothesis and approach. For example, in a facility there may be a low percentage of NICU mothers who initiate human milk feeding. The facility would like to increase its breastfeeding initiation rates and decrease the percentage of NICU babies receiving infant formula or infant formula supplementation. The staff believe that allowing formula supplementation for breastfed babies will decrease if it required a physician order. Additionally, allowing more rooming-in, combined with the availability of Symphony pumps would increase the breastfeeding initiation rate. This facility could submit an essay proving this hypothesis.
Challenges and subsequent goals submitted for the Contest should be categorized into one of the following stages of the NICU human milk journey:
- Initiate and maintain—establishing mom’s milk supply for the long term.
- Collect and protect—collecting breastmilk from mom and storing it without diminishing its nutritional value and without contamination.
- Prep and feed—working to prepare breastmilk efficiently for feeding to baby and without contamination.
- Mom/baby connection—helping mom and baby establish breastfeeding relationship.
2) Medela product—that was used to overcome the challenge or meet the goal. The following products fit into the NICU human milk continuum. Please note that non-Medela products and procedure updates may be used in conjunction with Medela product to meet goals and address changes in NICU practice.
- Symphony® pump
- Symphony Preemie+ ™ Program Card
- Symphony initiation kit
- Symphony Double breastpump kit
- Symphony/Harmony Double Duet Initiation kit
- Waterless Milk Warmer™
- Disposable inserts for the Medela Waterless Milk Warmer
- BabyWeigh™ II Scale
- Medela Bulk Preparation System
- Medela Storage and Collection Containers
- Medela Colostrum Containers
- Medela Breast Care Products
- Medela Phototherapy Products
- Medela NICU Education Courses
3) Method for overcoming challenge or problem to meet goal—What new process was put into place? How did the Medela product help to make this change possible?
4) Outcome—What was the result? Participants should use specific metrics, such as percentage increased human milk consumption, percentage decrease in contaminated milk, percentage decreased length of stay for breastmilk fed babies.
5) Discussion— Submissions should also include a section to review the outcomes and discuss considerations for potential research based on these outcomes; or to discuss insights from this essay that should be considered for further research.
All entries must be submitted by October 18, 2013, by email to Claudette.Yasell@medela.com. Entries submitted by any other means may not be accepted. Incomplete entries may not be accepted. Entries become the sole property of Sponsor and will not be returned. Limit one entry per facility.
Judging: Each entry will be judged by a team of Medela employees on a scale of 1-100 using the following criteria: (1) organization of entry; (2) improvement; and (3) the role that Medela product played in the process improvement (“Selection Criteria”). The facility with the highest overall score will win the grand prize and the next-highest overall score will be the runner-up. In the event of a tie, the winner will be selected based on the role of Medela product criterion.
Entry must be original and created entirely by an employee of the facility or at the direction of the facility. Entry must not have been entered in any other competition or violate or infringe the rights of other parties, and may not be offensive or defamatory, which shall be determined in the sole discretion of the judges and/or the Sponsor. Decisions of the judges regarding selection of winners are final.
Winners: Winners will be notified by telephone and e-mail on approximately November 15, 2013. Winners will be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility, waiver of liability, copyright assignment, and liability and publicity release within 14 days of notification or other such date as set by Sponsor, unless prohibited by law.
Prizes: There will be one grand prize winning facility, which will receive $10,000 in Medela products. There will be one runner-up facility, which will receive $5,000 in Medela products. Actual product/service donation will be determined by Sponsor, but may include: Symphony® Preemie+™ program cards, Symphony breastpumps, Waterless Milk Warmers™, Creamatocrit Plus™, Transport/Discharge Bags and/or BabyWeigh™ Scales. All prizes will be awarded. No alternative prizes or substitution is permitted, except by Sponsor in its sole discretion in the event of prize unavailability. Prize is non-transferable. Taxes of any kind, including all federal, state, and/or local taxes, are the sole responsibility of each winner facility. Sponsor is not responsible for and shall not be liable for late, lost, misdirected, or unsuccessful efforts to deliver the notification information to winners. If a selected winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim a prize, or fails to timely respond within the applicable time period, that winner’s rights and claims to the prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner, who shall be determined according to the Selection Criteria.
Use of Entries: Entry constitutes participant’s explicit grant of permission to Sponsor and its parent, affiliates, and subsidiaries and fulfillment, promotional, and advertising agencies (“Sponsor and Affiliates”) to copy, edit, broadcast via any medium, display, publish, and use, in whole in part, any facility’s name, likeness, and/or entry for publicity or promotional purposes in any manner, without further compensation, worldwide, in perpetuity, and in any and all media, including the Internet, unless prohibited by law. Sponsor shall have no liability and shall be released and held harmless by participant(s) for any type of damage, loss, or liability to person or property due, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by reason of the acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of prize, participation, names, likenesses, or entries. Any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by arbitration. Claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees. By participating, participants agree that, if necessary, all disputes will be resolved in state or federal courts in Illinois exclusively and subject to the laws of the State of Illinois.
CONDITIONS: By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor, which shall be final. Sponsor, agents and representatives of Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion, and fulfillment agencies, and legal advisors are not responsible for and shall not be liable for: (i) telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet, or computer malfunctions, failures, or difficulties of any kind; (ii) failed, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions; (iii) any condition caused by events beyond the control of the Sponsor that may cause the Contest to be disrupted or corrupted; (iv) any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising in connection with or as a result of any prize, or acceptance, possession, or use of any prize, or from participation in the Contest; or (v) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Contest. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, damaged, illegible, incomplete, incorrect, or misrouted entries. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to suspend or cancel the Contest at any time if a computer virus, bug, tampering, unauthorized intervention, or other technical problem of any sort corrupts the administration, security, or proper play of the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel the Contest or change any element thereof, with or without notice, at any time, due to printing errors, web site errors, transmission errors or other mistakes or problems in the production or administration of the Contest. Sponsor also reserves the right to disqualify, in its sole discretion, any person or facility found tampering with the entry process, or who is otherwise in violation of the rules. By participating, entrants agree that all disputes will be resolved in the appropriate courts in the state of Illinois, exclusively, and subject to the laws of the state of Illinois.
By participating in the Contest, each participant and each facility agrees to release and hold Sponsor and the employees, officers, directors, agents, representatives of Sponsor, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion, and fulfillment agencies, and legal advisors, harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind in connection with the Contest or resulting from acceptance, possession, or use of any prize, including without limitation, personal injury, death, and property damage, and claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. Entries become the exclusive property of the Sponsor and will not be returned.
By entering the Contest, each facility represents and warrants that the entry is an original work, and that no material in the entry was copied, in whole or in part, from any other source or is the subject of any copyright. All entrants and/or facilities may be required to sign an affidavit and copyright release to verify that Sponsor has all rights to use all or part of the entry in its materials.
List of Winners: To obtain a copy of the list of winners, send your request in writing along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to (Vermont residents may omit return postage): Preemie Awareness Month Best Practices Essay Winners, c/o Medela, Inc., 1101 Corporate Drive, McHenry, IL 60050. Requests must be received no later than thirty (30) days from the date of the final deadline for submission of entries.