A smart breast pump designed with you and your baby in mind.
Features & Benefits
- Double-electric, daily-use breast pump: Designed for moms who pump several times a day
- 2-Phase Expression Technology with one-touch letdown button: Provides more milk in less time when double pumping when compared to single pumping in the expression phase
- Smart: Connects with Smart Solution to the MyMedela app
- Quiet: Our quietest personal-use breast pump allows for discreet pumping anywhere
- Hospital performance: Inspired by Symphony
- Touch screen display and control illumination: For easy operation
- Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery: Convenient pumping anywhere, anytime
Sonata™ Smart Breast Pump Details
- Product Description
- What's Included
Sonata™, Medela's NEW double-electric breast pump with 2-Phase Expression® Technology, is our smart breast pump designed with you and your baby in mind.
Smart Solution™ connects Sonata to our MyMedela® app, your breast milk feeding resource for an instant connection to your personalized pumping dashboard. Real-time tracking of your baby's growth and pumping sessions, including unlimited access to evidence based lactation information and personalized content designed to help you reach your breast milk feeding goals.
Created to enhance your breast milk feeding experience, Sonata delivers:
- More milk in less time with 2-Phase Expression Technology when double pumping, compared to single pumping.
- Consistent pumping sessions featuring hospital performance, inspired by Symphony®, in a personal-use breast pump.
- Flexibility to choose from two clinically tested pumping rhythms for personalized comfort.
- Quiet when you need it most for discreet pumping situations like on-the-go or late-night sessions. See the Sonata difference.
Is Sonata the right breast pump for you? Learn more
- One Sonata breast pump with rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- One breast pump bag
- One double pumping kit
Includes two breast shield connectors, two connector caps, two valves, two silicone membranes and one set of tubing
- One set of 24 mm and 27 mm breast shields
- Four 5 oz. bottles with lids
- One cooler and cooling element
- Two bottle stands
- One power adaptor
- Color bag: black
- UL listed
- Power input: 100-240V~/50-60Hz/400-200mA
- Unit weight: 2.2 lbs. (breast pump only)/8.18 lbs. (retail package)
- Unit size/package: 10.43" x 16.375" x 9.125"
- Warranty: 1 year limited on motor/90 days on other parts. Please contact Medela Customer Service for warranty replacement.
Do I have to fully charge the battery before using Sonata for the first time?
We recommend fully charging the battery before using Sonata for the first time. If you can’t fully charge the battery, you can use it plugged in to a power outlet.
How long does Sonata's battery last on one charge?
Sonata’s battery will last up to an hour on one charge. 1 Hour of pumping time will give a daily pumping mom 3-4 sessions before having to charge Sonata again.
How long does it take to charge Sonata?
It may take Sonata up to 12 hours to fully charge. The battery icon will indicate when the breast pump is fully charged.
How do I choose the right size breast shield?
Click here for more information about choosing the right size breast shield.
How do I clean the breast pump kit?
Clean breastpump kit parts after each use.
Is there a quicker way to clean the breast pump kit?
You can use Quick Clean™ Soap, Quick Clean Wipes or Quick Clean Micro-Steam™ bags. Please follow instructions included with each of the Quick Clean products.
How do I dry & store the breast pump kit?
Allow all breast pump kit parts to air dry in a clean area and store dry parts when not in use. Do NOT store wet or damp parts.
How do I clean the tubing?
How do I clean the Sonata breast pump motor unit?
IMPORTANT: Do not wash the pump or power cord. Use a damp (not wet) cloth to wipe down the pump body if necessary. Do not sterilize piece parts in autoclave.
How do I sanitize the breast pump kit?
Sanitize breast pump kit parts once daily.
- Fill a pot with enough water to cover all parts.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Place parts in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Allow water to cool and gently remove parts from water with tongs.
- Place parts on a clean surface and/or towel.
- Allow parts to air dry
- Store parts when not in use.
- Do NOT store wet or damp parts.
Can I pump hands-free with Sonata?
You can pump hands-free with the Easy Expression® Bustier!
How do I register my breast pump?
Does altitude affect the suction level of Sonata?
Sonata features Responsive Pump Technology. With Responsive Pump Technology, the pump automatically adjusts for changes in the body and or pumping environment making sessions more consistent and productive.
Can Sonata be repaired at Medela or a local repair center?
Call Customer Service for any type of service needed to your pump. We will troubleshoot to determine the cause of malfunction and help you to restore it to working order. Medela does not repair motors of personal care products like the Sonata even within its warranty. If within warranty, we may replace the unit after verifying the purchase date with a copy of your receipt. If outside warranty, we suggest purchasing a new unit.
What is the size comparison between Sonata and Freestyle?
Sonata weighs 2.2 lbs. and includes an integrated handle for a secure griop when moving from one stationary pumping surface to another. Freestyle weighs less than 1 lb., fits in the palm of your hand, and includes a belt clip designed for mobile pumping.
What’s the difference between the two pumping rhythms?
The Signature Rhythm (Rhythm 1) is inspired by our popular hospital-use Symphony Breast Pump. The Lifestyle Rhythm (Rhythm 2) is an alternate rhythm for when you want to change your pumping routine. It includes additional benefits of longer battery, and quieter pump operation when you need it.
What Rhythm is best for mom to use?
Every mom reacts differently to the vacuum feeling of a breast pump. Sonata’s two rhythms are available to customize your pumping session. You may find one rhythm more comfortable or effective than the other.
Are Sonata parts compatible with other Medela breast pumps?
Sonata’s double pumping kit components and power adaptor were developed exclusively for Sonata, to optimize performance. PersonalFit™ breast shields are compatible with all Medela breast pumps.
How do I connect Sonata to MyMedela?
Connecting your Sonata Breast Pump to MyMedela is simple and quick. Watch the video here
Traveling outside the U.S. : When traveling outside the U.S. you have two options:
- Use the power cord that came with Sonata in conjunction with the proper travel adapter for the relevant country (available at many electronic or travel stores)
- Use battery power
What does an air leak alert mean and how do I fix it?
If the air leak alert appears on your pump display it means your vacuum is not operating at optimal performance. Watch this video to learn more
My display shows an empty, flashing battery cell.
Your battery is broken.
- First, reset your breast pump by pushing and holding the power button on the back of the pump, while it’s on, for 3-5 seconds or until the display flashes.
- If that doesn’t work, Your battery is broken and unfortunately cannot be serviced or replaced. The pump is still operable in when plugged into an external power source but unfortunately will no longer work off battery power.
- If your breast pump is still covered under warranty please contact Medela Customer Service.
My breast pump is not responding as expected.
Perform a breast pump reset if Sonata is not responding as expected. (i.e. acting strange, controls have stopped working, abnormal issues or noises, etc.)
To reset your breast pump push and hold the power button on the back of the pump, while it’s on, for 3-5 seconds or until the display flashes.
I was resetting my breast pump and now it won’t turn on.
- Reset your breast pump by pushing the power button on the back of the pump, while it’s on, for 3-5 seconds or until the display flashes. If you hold the button in longer the pump can go into “storage mode”.
- To remove from storage mode, plug your breast pump in to external power (wall outlet).
What do I do if milk gets in the tubing?
Whether your product instruction manual is lost, ripped, or covered in spit–up — We always have it available for you here.
What’s New With Medela?
Customize Your Pump!
Medela accessories + your lifestyle = successful breastfeeding.
Yes! Let's accessorize
Join the Medela family!
Sign up for breastfeeding information and Medela news by joining our community! It only takes a few minutes.