Challenges of the Late Preterm Infant
This course provides data on the specialized needs, vulnerabilities and care management of babies born between 34 and 37 weeks gestation. The challenges of breastfeeding the late preterm infant are discussed and strategies for maximizing breastfeeding support and minimizing complications are presented.
- Describe risks associated with late preterm birth.
- Discuss nutritional concerns when breastfeeding a late preterm infant.
- Discuss hospital care that is optimal for the unique needs of these babies.
- Discharge planning and patient education issues specific to the needs of the late preterm infant.
- Nursing - 1.0 Contact Hours
- Dietitian - 1.0 CPE Credits
- ACNM - 0.1 CEU
- Prevalence and significance of Late Preterm Infants
- Review of vulnerability of various body systems
- Breastfeeding challenges
- Best hospital practices
- Patient Education specific to late preterm babies