This course raises the consciousness of clinicians caring for breastfeeding families about the unique benefits of human milk. The benefits human milk provides to mothers, infants and society are discussed. A history of the commercialization of breastmilk substitutes in the United States is presented along with identifying barriers to breastfeeding. The ethical responsibility of health care providers to promote breastfeeding is also presented.
- List the benefits of breastfeeding for women and infants.
- Identify current breastfeeding trends in the United States
- Describe the impact of the formula industry on breastfeeding trends in the United States.
- Recognize societal behaviors that can influence breastfeeding rates.
- Discuss the ethical responsibility to inform parents of potentially harmful effects of not breastfeeding.