The Joint Commission's Core Perinatal Measure on Exclusive Breastfeeding Education & Product Basic Online Package
This online package is a combination of product and continuing education to support the Joint Commission Core Perinatal Measure on Exclusive Breastfeeding. This program is also available to be presented live at your facility.
Place your order by contacting your Medela sales consultant or by contacting Medela Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click HERE to view package specifics.
- Credit Hours
Produced by Paula P. Meier, RN, PhD. FAAN, this 1.5 hour class provides the evidence supporting the Joint Commission’s Core Perinatal Measure for exclusive breast milk feeding in the hospital. Topics will focus on arming clinicians with research-based updates on the protective qualities of colostrum, the physiology of establishing adequate maternal milk volumes, uniquely human infant sucking patterns, risks of supplementation with formula and risks associated with pacifier usage.
- Nursing - 1.5 Contact Hours
- Dietitian - 1.5 CPE Credits
- Describe evidence-based outcomes regarding exclusive human milk feedings for term infants.
- Discuss benefit of colostrum as the first food for term infants.
- Identify factors that may interfere with the establishment of adequate breast milk volumes.
- Incorporate effective ‘talking points’ with families to help them in understanding the importance of exclusive human milk feeding during the maternity hospitalization.
- Benefit of exclusivity of human milk feedings
- Human milk, formula and the risk of obesity
- Evidence for colostrum
- Maternal milk volumes: The first two weeks post-birth
- Human infant sucking patterns
- Endocrine and autocrine control of continued lactation
- Evidence for avoiding pacifiers