Have an Education Promo Code?
Enter your promo code and click "Redeem" to continue registration.
The Use of Human Milk & Breastfeeding Education for the NICU Nurse
Diane Spatz, PhD, RN-BC, FAAN
This program provides the clinician with evidence based nursing knowledge and application skills regarding research on human milk and breastfeeding for vulnerable infants.
Dr. Spatz has dedicated her entire nursing career to caring for high risk mothers and infants. Since 1989 Dr. Spatz has conducted research on breastfeeding and the use of human milk in high risk mothers and infants and interventions to improve outcomes.
- Credit Hours
This one day program will cover essentially everything the NICU nurse will need to know to fully support breastfeeding success. The program will provide evidenced based nursing knowledge and application skills supported by the research on human milk and breastfeeding for vulnerable infants. Outlining the biological specifi city and composition of breast milk, it will also identify the role of culture and support in breastfeeding outcomes and review the anatomy and physiology for both mother and infant. In addition, important information on initiation and maintenance of milk supply, feeding of human milk and lacto-engineering will be included.
- Discuss the benefi ts and biological specifi city of human milk.
- Describe how human milk improves the health outcomes of NICU infants.
- Explain the anatomy and physiology of milk production.
- Define nursing practices that promote human milk delivery in the NICU.
- Dietitian - 7.0 CPE Credits
- Nursing - 7.0 Contact Hours
- Current recommendations on breastfeeding and where we stand
- Benefi ts of human milk and the biological specifi city of human milk
- How human milk decreases morbidity and mortality
- Why women don’t breastfeed - Support and cultural issues
- Anatomy and physiology of milk production
- Initiation and maintenance of milk supply
- Feeding of human milk and lacto-engineering
- Transition to breast and technology to support breastfeeding
- Measuring milk transfer preparation for discharge and appropriate follow-up
What’s New With Medela?
Join the Medela family!
Sign up for breastfeeding information and Medela news by joining our community! It only takes a few minutes.