Have an Education Promo Code?
Enter your promo code and click "Redeem" to continue registration.
Supporting Premature Infant Nutrition in the NICU
Working together to optimize premature infant nutrition
- Credit Hours
Presented by: Dr. Jae Kim and Dr. Lisa Stellwagen.
The science of human milk feeding in the NICU is revealing immense benefits to the premature infant. Optimizing nutrition in the most vulnerable babies leads to improved growth and outcomes. Working to improve premature infant nutrition requires a team based approach to solve the nutritional crisis that faces the premature infant. A seamless integration of nutrition and lactation into one functioning healthcare team to include medicine, nursing, dietary, lactation, and feeding specialists guarantees the most consistent and coordinated nutritional management for these babies. Through a series of lectures and workshops, we hope to provide a practical and interactive environment for developing improved neonatal nutritional care in your respective intensive care units.
Dr. Kim is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) where he is uniquely dually appointed in the Divisions of Neonatology and Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. He is the Nutrition Medical Director of the Supporting Premature Infant Nutrition (SPIN) Program. Additionally, he is a current Board Executive of the California Association of Neonatologists.
Dr. Stellwagen is a Professor of Pediatrics at the University of California, San Diego, Medical Center in the Division of Neonatology. She is Medical Director of the Newborn Service and Lactation Medical Director of the Supporting Premature Infant Nutrition (SPIN) Program. She is a Fellow of the Academy of Pediatrics and a member of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine.
- Describe the diverse benefits of human milk for premature infants.
- Identify current nutritional strategies to optimally grow high risk premature infants.
- Learn how optimal human milk nutrition can minimize complications in premature infants.
- Hear how one institution increased human milk feeding in their NICU
- Describe practical strategies to improve coordinated activity between the NICU nutrition and lactation teams at your facility.
- Nursing - 7.0 Contact Hours
- Dietitian - 7.0 CPE Credits
- Addressing the nutritional emergency of the preterm infant
- Basics of milk production in mothers of NICU infants
- The Science of Human Milk Feeding in the NICU
- Making sense of formula, fortifi ers and additives
- Supporting Premature Nutrition Program; the UCSD SPIN Program
- Workshop: Prevention of NEC
- Workshop: Prevention of malnutrition
- Workshop: Making more milk
- Workshop: Making milk safe
- Workshop: Get baby to breast
- Workshop: Nutritional discharge plan
- Question and answer session
What’s New With Medela?
Join the Medela family!
Sign up for breastfeeding information and Medela news by joining our community! It only takes a few minutes.