Answering Common Breastfeeding Questions &
Helping Mothers Overcome Difficulties
Mothers frequently have questions and sometimes encounter difficulties when they begin breastfeeding. Management of normal breastfeeding has undergone numerous changes in the past few years and health care providers are often challenged to provide the most current, up to date information and support to help mothers succeed. This program will explore common questions that health care providers often get asked by their breastfeeding clients and will review evidence-based recommendations for trouble-shooting specific problems.
- Discuss the importance of listening skills in increasing the effectiveness of patient communication.
- Discuss three common questions that mothers may have regarding breastfeeding.
- Explain how to counsel a mother who will be separated from her infant and wants to continue feeding breastmilk.
- Educate mothers on objective signs that breastfeeding is going well.
- Nursing - 1.5 Contact Hours
- Dietitian - 1.5 CPE Credits
- Common misconceptions regarding diet, medications, milk supply issues, infant behaviour
- Specific problems such as sore nipples, engorgement, mastitis
- Returning to work or school
- Use of a breastpump
- Telephone counselling