This course reviews the etiology, risk factors and screening guidelines for Hyperbilirubinemia as well as differentiating pathologic and physiologic jaundice, and breastfeeding and breastmilk jaundice. In addition, the program reviews nursing responsibilities regarding evaluation, assessment and utilization of nomograms from the AAP guidelines. An emphasis on accurate lactation support and discharge planning is also included.
- Discuss the history of Kernicterus
- Define Acute Bilirubin Encephalopathy
- Describe Bilirubin Metabolism
- Discuss predisposing risk factors
- Discuss the role of human milk and hyperbilirubinemia