Breastfeeding Insurance & Reimbursement
Get your questions about the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and insurance-covered breastpumps answered!
What is the ACA? Does this apply to me?
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) was signed into law in 2010. There are many parts of the ACA, but one of the most valuable is that ACA requires health plans to cover breastfeeding support and supplies. Many health plans began implementing this coverage on or after August 1, 2012.
If you have a private insurance carrier or commercial insurer, this law applies to you. The breastfeeding provisions of the ACA do not apply to Medicaid or WIC. However, breastpumps are available through WIC and many state Medicaid programs. For information on how to obtain a breastpump through WIC or Medicaid, contact your state WIC agency.
Questions about the Health Insurance Marketplace?
October 1, 2013, marked the first day for open enrollment of the Health Insurance Marketplace. Questions? Here are a few helpful resources:
- State of Breastfeeding Coverage: Health Plan Violations of the Affordable Care Act
- Kaiser Health & The Washington Post answer FAQ's
- Healthcare.gov: 10 Ways to Get Ready for the Health Insurance Marketplace
- Consumer Reports published the Health Law Helper online tool to learn about options
- CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services): Printable resources and materials
- HealthyChildren.org: The Affordable Care Act - What Your Family Needs to Know
Coverage Questions You Should Ask Your Insurance Company
Your voice can be heard when it comes to getting the pump you want. So feel empowered, and don’t compromise. You have a voice in your pump choice, so give your insurance company a call (their customer service number can be found on the back of your insurance card).View Our List of Questions
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Did you know? You can get all of your Medela breastfeeding essentials using your FSA!
All Medela breastfeeding products are covered by FSA. Your plan may have certain restrictions, please contact your benefit provider for specific information.Find Out More